The Simple Present of Verb To Be, am, is and are

The Simple Present of Verb To Be, am, is and are

Hello my friends, and welcome to this lesson.Today, I'm going to talk about a very basic topic of English grammar.
Please, read the following examples carefully:


You can say: 

-  My name is -----------.
-  I'm American, I'm from Nevada.
-  I'm a student. I'm 21 years old.
-  My favorite color is red.      (color = American spelling, colour = British spelling)
-  My favorite sports are basketball and tennis.   (color = American spelling, colour = British spelling)
-  I'm interested in reading.
-  My father is a teacher and my mother is a housewife.

So, from the previous examples, we can see that we have three forms of verb To Be used in the simple present tense " am, is, and are",  and we can use them as follows:

In Positive Sentences 

I am   or   I'm   (short form)
he is    or   he's   (short form)
she is    or   she's   (short form)
   it is    or   it's     (short form) 
we are   or   we're   (short form)
you are   or   you're   (short form)
they are  or   they're   (short form)

In Negative Sentences 

I am not   or   I'm not   (short form)
     he is not   or   he's not = he isn't    (short form) 
she is not   or   she's not = she isn't   (short form)
   it is not   or     it's not = it isn't        (short form)
we are not   or   we're not = we aren't   (short form)
you are not   or   you're not = you aren't   (short form)
They are not  or   they're not = you aren't   (short form)

Let's practise more examples:

-  I'm cold. Could you close the window, please?
-  I'm 37 years old. My brother is 40.
-  My wife is afraid of dogs.
-  It's 11 o'clock. you're late again.
-  Your keys are on the shelf.
-  I'm tired, but I'm not hungry.
-  Ann isn't a teacher. She is a student.
-  Those people aren't American. They're French.

Also, we can use the short forms for: that, there and here as follows:

that is = that's         there is = there's       here is = here's     

Read the following examples:

-  Thank you. That's very kind of you.
-  Look! There's your friend.
-  Here's your phone. 
   
I hope you found this lesson helpful. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Thanks.




Post a Comment

0 Comments