The Simple Past of Verb To Be, was and were

The Simple Past of Verb To Be, was and were
Hello my friends, and welcome to a new lesson.Today, I'm going to talk about an important and basic grammar topic.
Please, read the following examples carefully:


You can say: 

-  I am hungry.  (now)
-  I was hungry last night.
-  Where is John?  (now)
-  Where was John yesterday.
-  The weather is nice today.
The weather was nice last week.
-  Your are late.  (now)
-  You were late last Saturday.
-  They are here. (now).
-  They were here yesterday.


So, from the previous examples, we can see that we have two forms of verb To Be used in the past tense " was and were",  and we can use them as follows:

In Positive Sentences 

was     
he was     
she was   
   it was      
we were  
you were  
they were  

In Negative Sentences (full & short forms)

-  I was not = I wasn't    
-  he was not he wasn't    
-  she was not she wasn't  
-  it was not it wasn't       
-  we were not we weren't  
-  you were not you weren't   
-  they were not they weren't   

Let's practise more examples:

-  I was in China in 2016.
-  We were together.
-  We weren't happy with the hotel. Our room was small and it wasn't clean.
- They were on the table.

How to ask and answer a question:

Were you in London last year?
-  Yes. I was
Was John with you?
-  No, he was not = No, he wasn't
Were you together?  
-  No, we were not = No, we weren't 
Were you happy with the hotel? 
-  Yes, we were
-  Where were you yesterday?
-  Why was he late last night?


I hope you found this lesson helpful. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Thanks.


Post a Comment

0 Comments